I'm trying to read Ben Carson's "Take the Risk," and it's a bit strange.
While I appreciate his discussion of risk and how we should evaluate the risks we consider taking in life, I can't help but feel he's glossing over something else that plays in favor of risk-taking: Assets definitely make a difference.
Maybe he touches on this later in the book. But it's clear, for example, that his mother took risks in making decisions to raise her boys properly, she had advantages that other people in similar situations might not have had. When she needed family to step up to help with her boys, they were there. When he needed self-awareness, he had it. When he needed mentors, they were there. Yes, the risk still had to be weighed, but there was certainly more of a safety net in many of the cases he cites than others might have had.
As I mentioned, I'll keep reading. I hope he discusses these assets and advantages as part of the whole, because someone without those assets would look at the same risks differently.

No comments:
Post a Comment