Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Permission to be Trolled, Sir!

STANDARD PREFACE: I’m no longer in the journalism business, and happy to be out. That does not mean I’m forbidden from writing occasionally on the subject.

A while back, I wrote about the growing practice of journalists using social media posts in their stories without first seeking permission from the poster to use them.

I can’t say it’s something I wouldn’t have done as a journalist – after all, this information and opinion is out there on a public forum, just the same as if I’d heard it shouted on the street or gotten it in a quote during an interview.

Or is it?

When I hear someone shout in the street, common sense – and probably a lot of editors – would tell me to go talk to that person, get their name, ask why they’re shouting and such. It seems the standard for social media reporting is just to take what’s said and use it.

By doing so, the reporter saves time, no doubt.

And can also end up using something put out there by one of these Russian election trolls we’ve heard so much about, such as was reported at Slate.com this week.

There’s a blend of fast-paced and lazy in this world – both are on opposite side of the coin. I most often fall into the lazy camp, as some of my former journalism colleagues would attest.

Better to be fast-paced.

I’m still haunted by my laziness and stupidity.

And so it goes.

The old saw goes “If your mother says she loves you, check it out.” Same ought to go for social media scraping. Lest ye be trolled.

No comments: