Friday, April 5, 2019

Put. . . ze Writer . . . Beck



After what I think is almost eighteen months, I’m back at my old place at work, this time MUCH CLOSER to the shouty people who make working at RWMC a lot of fun.

It’s nice to be back to hear those familiar voices.

Working out of AMWTP for that time wasn’t the end of the world, and I got used to it – but we were in a quiet little spot kinda far from the action. Or at least the action I was used to.

I will miss the walking. I got in two brisk 10-minute walks a day, working at AMWTP, as I went back and forth from the office to the bus stop. I won’t miss that walk in the winter when it’s below zero and it’s icy, but now, yeah, I’m gonna miss that walking. I’ll have to find excuses to walk a bit around here.

But that does mean I can get back to where I was walking earlier – out through the sage brush just east of the office building, if they let us walk there now. There’s plenty of coyote scat and I have seen badgers out there. There are also supposed to be rattlesnakes, but I walk like a clodhopper and seem to manage to scare them off. Of course, I walk on a dirt road where the snakes can’t always find the cover they want, so maybe they’re all around me but stay silent so I don’t notice them.

We did miss a few hours’ worth of work with the move, and with computers and phones being disconnected. But it came on a good day when the workload and deadlines were relatively light.

One more positive about working at AMWTP: I got to leave my desk ten minutes early so I could make that walk to RWMC so as not to miss the bus. Can’t do that now, as the bus stop is a mere thirty seconds from where I sit.

Hey – from where I sit I almost have a window, where I could watch the squirrels, if they were married. But this does mean I’ll have a quick way to watch the marmots and rabbits – again, if they’re here – and the kildeer, which look like little sandpipers. Their babies are amazing to watch, scooting around like little racecars.



Moving back will likely mean more drama, as when deadlines approach and tempers flare I’ll be close to that action, maybe closer than I want to be.

But it does feel like coming home.

No comments: