Saturday, April 20, 2024

The AMAZING META AI Reads Articles So You Don't Have To!


With artificial intelligence on my mind since I had to fail a student last semester for continued use of ChatGPT, I was curious to see what Meta AI had to offer when I saw these helpful suggestions on a local news story.

Being a naturally distrustful person, I read the story first, then went back to see what AI would have to say. I asked the second question: HOw many students have worked at the station?

Meta AI responded:

(I apologize for the potato-like quality of these screencaps.)

So it made a guess. It couldn't tell me how many precisely, because of course the story didn't offer a number. So it looked at what numbers it had and came up with the answer "many hundreds."

I guess a human could have come up with that answer. So why did I need AI for that? I don't know.

I still don't like the shortcut-edness of it all. Reading the story myself took only a few minutes; having AI do the reading and give me a response wasn't a timesaver, particularly in light of the noncommittal answer. Maybe with something more complicated it would be more helpful. But I'd still want to do the reading to make sure the AI wasn't misinterpreting something.

But what if I ended up misinterpreting something myself? Always a possibility. Still, it's worth checking myself.

No comments: