Thursday, February 21, 2013

Buh-Bye, Twitter

When my wife received an email from Twitter suggesting she follow some of the people I follow, including someone who bragged about “spanking” someone recently, I decided it was time to pull the plug on Twitter. 

No hanky-panky on my part, mind you. I have a brother in prison due to hanky-panky, and I'm not heading down that road. But I should have been more judicious in choosing whom to follow and deleting those who brought up questionable topics. That’s what I used to do – but my Twitter account has become a ghetto of neglect and sadness. I rarely visit Twitter. If I send a tweet, it’s in the form of a link to my blog, a link to something I’ve done on GoodReads, or some other link. Rarely anything purely Twitter any more. So the benefits were far outweighed by the risk, particularly the risk to reputation, which my wife pointed out to me.

So it’s time to pull the plug.

I won’t miss it. Blogging, writing novels and keeping up with my Facebook friends – who are real friends, not the random hangers-on and strangers at Twitter – will keep me active enough. And out of trouble with my wife. 

I’m not ragging on Twitter. I’m just finally coming to the realization that it’s not for me. There’s a lot of good going on there – I will miss tweeting around LDS Conference time – but then again, will I? I don’t remember tweeting anything from the last conference in October. And I certainly won't miss its more cesspool-like elements. Which you find on the Internet everywhere. But at least by killing Twitter, I stop it from coming to me or others I know in my name, for reputation is coin of the realm. And cesspools are icky. And my brother just isn't having fun at all.

So again, it’s time to pull the plug.

No comments: