Sunday, October 25, 2015

YOU OWE ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW EXISTED!



In a way, I’m tired of social media.

I mean, here at my blog, I can shout into the darkness and more often than not nobody listens. And I’m good with that. I didn’t start this blog with the intention of gathering an audience; I just like to babble.

And I do enjoy Facebook, because of the other outlet it offers for babbling.

Twitter, eh, not so much. I’m on Round Two with Twitter, and I just don’t have the time for it. It’s active social media, not the passive stuff I’ve come to enjoy. If you’re not in on the joke within the first fifteen seconds, you may as well not bother.

Then there’s this.

Now I know this kind of outrage existed long before Twitter. I used to work for a newspaper that had a tape recorder connected to a phone line where people could call in their anonymous gripes, and boy did they ever call in their anonymous gripes. But social media – especially Twitter – for some reason, makes this kind of outrage easy.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t recall much of Back to the Future II, nor do I remember “Pepsi Perfect,” the product (or lack of it) causing the outrage. The second film in the franchise was pretty bad, IMHO.
So you didn’t get the novelty product featured in some film from aeons ago. Is it really worth the spittle to go on social media and complain about it? After all, these cola drinks are really nothing more than malted battery acid, per Berke Breathed (another throwback to the ‘80s, if you don’t mind).

Twitter really is the go-to place for people with a sense of entitlement, isn’t it? Even moreso than blogs that nobody reads.

No comments: