Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Slow. They Called You SLOW!




I admit to having my moments. I’m not the most observant or brightest guy in the world.
But part of improving is recognizing where one can improve, right? So, here is a list of a few of the things I’ve figured out recently.

Manneken Pis

I’m a fan of Asterix and Obelix, and just this week finally got the joke in this panel from Asterix Chez les Belges:



Up until now, I’d just assumed, “Ha ha, they’re making a joke about a kid having to go to the bathroom a lot after he sneaks beer and doesn’t really have anywhere to go, since they’d just remarked on how flat Belgium is.”

No. They’re making a joke specifically about Manneken Pis, that famous peeing-boy statue in Brussels:


Barfy
 
Not until I had to clean up one of our dogs’ barf twice in less than a span of 12 hours did I hit on a reason why one of the dogs in The Family Circus might be named Barfy. That’s certainly something they’ve not explored in the comic strip.



More revelations to come, I’m sure. Unless Lenny kicks me out.

No comments: