Friday, October 20, 2017

The Post in Which Salsa Cookies Are Mentioned

I don’t put much stock into superstition. I believe if a person has a run of bad luck, it’s more often than not related to the poor decisions he has made, rather than the whims of fortune.

Still.

I notice every ten years of my professional life, thusfar, I hit a funk. It’s as if I’m Ignatius Reilley and the blind goddess Fortuna spins me into a downward cycle every decade.

Good news is since I don’t believe in such dribble, I’m making better decisions right now to get me out of the funk I’ve fallen into.

Nothing life-critical, just a little dissatisfaction and complacency on the job front, which I’m combating to fix. The cycle – if I believed in it – is beginning to swing upwards. I’m approaching the Salsa Cookies portion of Fortuna’s wheel.



Out at work we’re making a companywide effort to combat complacency and professional drift, refocusing our efforts on what we should be doing in our jobs. Same going on personally as I continue teaching at BYU-Idaho. And both places are going better, now that I’ve decided to act, rather than be acted upon.

14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.

15 And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.

16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.

(2 Nephi 2, verses 14 through 16.)

Also this. Although it's too late for me.



No comments: