Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Today, This Happened

So The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced today they will drop Scouting completely as the activity arm for the Aaronic Priesthood as of Jan. 1, 2019.

A few thoughts:

  1. I understand the reasons why. I won't be writing any angry letters to Salt Lake.
  2. I'm concerned for friends of ours who work full-time for the BSA in LDS-heavy areas. This is going to be a career blow to them, likely necessitating a move.
  3. The BSA made sure I was adequately trained in whatever job I had with the scouts. My training as membership clerk in the LDS Church entailed 30 minutes between church meetings. Most of that stuff, I've forgotten.
  4. This really accelerates the need for our youngest son to complete his Eagle project so he can get that award.
  5. Yes, we could move on to a community unit. And then face the institutional pressure when the community unit and the new activity program for the church schedule activities on the same night.
  6. Scouting allowed me and my wife to participate with our children. We've been told that for the trek our children are taking this summer with the church, parents aren't allowed.
Maybe more thoughts to come.

Ironically, I dreamed last night I was Scoutmaster again, and we were hiking through the wilds of Lincoln, Idaho, where I wanted to show the Scouts where I went to elementary school. As we hiked, the place got wilder and wilder until we lost one of the Scouts and we were hollering and wandering all over to find him. Never did find him, because that pesky alarm clock went off.

No comments: