Sunday, August 25, 2019

Back to that Fence


A while back, I bragged about finishing that back fence.

Of course, the fence itself was done. The woody part. But now I have to stain it. And time is running out.

So with the stain I had left over from the previous fence project, my daughter (who is earning the Painting Merit Badge in Scouts BSA) got just over four of the panels done. Now I have to go to Home Cheapo and hope they have the same kind of stain. Online, it appears they have it in the one-gallon buckets, but I need this in bulk, at least five gallons or so. So maybe on the way home from work tonight, I’ll swing by and see what they’ve got. Before the season is over.

What we’ve got done looks good, though, and confirms that the stain on the older section of fence is just as vibrant as what we’ve put on the new fence. Maybe with a little hard water staining on the older section. But that’s a no nevermind, at least for now.

Will I get to the siding this year?

Possibly. The fence, unstained, and in need of at least two coats, is the priority. We’ll also have to talk to the new neighbors about getting their side stained too. I’m willing to do the work so the wood is preserved, but we’ll talk with them to see if they’re willing to do it. Either case, it’s got to be done before the snow flies. Two coats. And a coat again next summer.

And maybe I can get that little bit of fence between Karl’s house and ours done this fall, including the staining. It would sure make things look better on that side of the house.

Back to that siding. Maybe if I delay it until next spring, I could wrangle a few window replacements into the mix as well. We’re already talking about removing the garage window and just walling it up so I have more space for shop shelves – we need shelves, as the amount of camping gear we’re collecting continues to rise. Right now, we’d ordinarily have it stored in the camper for the winter, but we’ve loaned the camper to our former neighbors who are building a house and living on the property as they do so. (They have a tent camper and a few ramshackle outbuildings to live in, but our dinky camper will give them some more space.)

And I think I have at least two tents I need to give away or throw out. That would simplify things a bit.

No comments: