Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Rest Well, Mr. Uderzo

With the passing of Albert Uderzo, I’ll pause and mourn.

Uderzo and Asterix and Obelix writer Rene Goscinny helped me learn French. Reading their comic books, alongside the Book of Mormon in French as I served my two-year mission in France, is what got me through trying to wrap my head around another language.

They helped me have a tiny window into French culture, taught me idioms and really stretched my brain as I went from comic book to dictionary to real-life situation trying to parse French but not sound too much like a cartoon character (ironically).

Asterix.com has a fitting tribute to the artist today, reproduced here because I have no idea how long it’ll be there.

Other French influencers include, of course, Rene Goscinny, the fellow who wrote many of Asterix and Obelix’s adventures and who passed away in 1977.



And the translations. I read JRR Tolkein’s “The Hobbit” in French, in both novel and comic book form, to help me hone my language skills.

But it’s Asterix and Obelix who were the most help.

Thanks, fellas.

No comments: