Wednesday, November 4, 2020

VICTORY! [Squidward Looks Terrible]


So this came in the mail this week, and I'm supposed to be happy about it.

And I guess for a given value of happy, I am happy about it. Happy in that they agreed they won't cut our rate to the bone and keep on cutting, as they are doing with their solar customers in Utah. But unhappy in that I learned about the decision this way, rather than through the Idaho Public Utilities Commission.

And this is the first time I've heard of their "No more than 10% addition to capacity quid pro quo."

I defy any normal human to go to the Idaho Public Utilities Commission website and find either:

1. The final decision

2. The condition on the no more than 10% capacity may be added.

I've looked. If it's there, is so well hidden as to make me suspect it's hidden on purpose.

Y'see, we got solar on the house to try to save money. We refinanced our home mortgage and rolled the solar loan into it to save money. And Rocky Mountain Power, and their pseudoaccomplices at the IPUC seem determined to scrape back any money they can.

And let's face it: Rocky Mountain Power says its solar customers aren't paying their fair share of upkeep on the grid. I've been on this grid most of my life, and I can say it's been in pretty sorry shape since before solar became an issue for them. Maybe if they spent less time making money for stockholders and such and put more of that money into, say, upkeep and such, they might have better equipment and not be forced to soak customers for upkeep on their monopoly.

The monopoly thing. That's why I'm supposed to be happy with this decision. "See? We wanted to soak you more, but the IPUC wouldn't let us, so be glad there's a flimsy layer of government between you and us."

I know I'm sounding cynical. If the cynical shoe fits, wear it.

So I am happy. Looking like this, holding their blessed letter up for all to see.



No comments: