Monday, November 29, 2021

Boring Stories About Pirates, 'Just Drank A Glass of Water' Edition


It shouldn’t be possible to write a boring book about pirates, but I found one.

And maybe it’s me. But to stave off the boredom, I began reading another non-fiction book, and it’s much more compelling.

The book in question is “Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates,” by David Cordingly, who apparently has a long history with maritime history and has written several books.

I think a lot of the problem is the telling, not the showing. There’s lots of third-person telling in this book, and that removes the reader from the story, or the action, or what have you. When Cordingly does quote from records, things get more vivid, or at least a lot more peppered with the word “ye.” I can imagine a battle going on in the historian’s brain, not wanting to embellish or assume anything. But it is the historians who write more like novelists that capture my interest and bring me closer to the history they love, and I think for the most part they do it with an eye on accuracy.

I’m not disputing that Cordingly’s book has no value – I’m certain it’s quite a valuable bit of research for anyone wanting to know more about pirates, wanting to write about pirates and the like. I do know that for general reading, it’s a bit on the dull side.



No comments: