The magic has left summer.
Let me explain: For the past billion summers, the family -- meaning all but me -- have gone to camp, whether it was Island Park Scout Camp or Treasure Mountain Scout Camp. Leaving me at home, of course, with the joke that I was the one earning the real money so they could go play all summer.
I reveled in the restored bachelorhood and found time to get chores done.
Then this summer.
I don't know what made the difference, but I've felt more lonely, more blah, and not all that motivated at all to get things done.
I've tried to get things done. I built a rail on the back steps. Twice. I've split some wood and worked on cleaning up the spot where the pine tree was. But it all feels mechanical. Part of it might be the heat. But I think traditional summer is coming to an end for me.
Part of me needs a vacation. But part of me wants that vacation to be me working on things around the house without having to fret over budgets and whatnot. I guess I'd better keep working so someday we can do that.
I'm trying not to be gloomy. But this year has been hard. Maybe next year, the Summer of George!
No comments:
Post a Comment