I have slowly come to realize something:
The many fruitful years I've spent scouring bookshelves at local thrift stores is likely at an end.
I *might* find a few more books from my childhood, but it's more than likely that people donating books nowadays are donating books their millennial children and even older read as kids, and the stuff I read as a Gen Xer is going to be a lot harder to find.
Until, of course, Gen X bookworms start to die.
Take E.W. Hildick's McGurk mysteries. I used to find them regularly at the local thrifts. Then I kept finding copies of books I already had, though I mostly bought them so I could decide if the new one was in better shape than the old.
Now, I just don't find them at the thrifts anymore. And the one pictured above is being sold as "vintage" online for $12. I used to find these for 50 cents, and on good days, ten for a dollar.
No more.
I may need to expand my search of thrift stores, go further afield -- though I note in Rexburg the book choices are even more paltry than they are locally.
End of an era, I guess.

No comments:
Post a Comment