Thursday, October 8, 2026

It's an Affront to not Use Affresh, and other Linguistic Musings

I've been amused of late reading the product names for various items coming out of Asia. I know they make fun of Westerners - and rightly so - when we get tattoos of their word characters that mean something along the lines of "giraffe pimp" and not what the tattoo artist says it means, but I think it's just as fair to mock their mangled English as they try to sell the output of their factories.

Here are some of my favorites:


I remember watching Bob Ross put paint to kamvas in PBS. I guess this is a digital thing.


This might be my favorite. My first thought is toxin, but if you feel it's more in the medicine field you're not far off, as the -oxin suffix is, in Greek, related to the heart. So maybe this is either heart-friendly or poisonous stuff.


Comedian Daren Streblow talks about a son with a speech impediment, who added -oy to a lot of words. I guess he's working in marketing Chinese products now.


It's an affront not to use Affresh. Some of the ad copy just writes itself.


Jackery. So close to hackery. And given this is Chinesium, the name is probably chillingly ironic.
 

No comments: