Friday, March 13, 2020

Coronavirus Hunkering



Since my previous coronavirus post, things, as they say, have gotten real. Yo.

Here are a few things that have happened:

1. Idaho now has one -- count 'em, one -- confirmed coronavirus patient, apparently a woman from Boise who went to a business conference in New York and brought it home as a souvenir.

2. Church, at least for the time being, is off. As in we're doing church at home. Counting attendance is going to be a heck of a lot easier to do for the next little while.

3. BYUI has cancelled in-person classes for a week while teachers gear up to teach their courses online. Online classes will carry on, though we've been advised to show lots of empathy for our students who may be facing challenges at home.

4.Neighboring states have cancelled school. It's my assumption that for us, it's only a matter of time before that happens.

5. Fluor Idaho has let us know they're aware of the situation and are watching things closely.

6. There's still no toilet paper to be found, but I did buy 48 cans of Diet Pepsi (not because I'm panicking, but because at 21 cents a can, it was a killer deal).

7. Liam texted us from the Bishop's Storehouse last night, saying the home storage side was almost sold out. He was then sent home early.

8. We have unconfirmed rumors that people traveled from Utah all the way to the Rigby Broulim's to stock up, though I have my doubts that actually happened. Probably a lot of BYUI students with Utah plates.

9. The stock market, well, it's very unhappy. I looked at our latest statement, and yeah, I won't make that mistake again.

10. We're doing okay. Lexie is having friends over. Isaac is on a Scout campout. Liam is working at the temple where it's likely to be quiet, as only live ordinances are being allowed. I'm blogging, Michelle is doing her homework, and the dogs are sitting on my feet making me sweaty. And I cleaned part of the garage out.

11. We did cancel our troop swimming activity tomorrow, so much the pity.

So we're doing okay. Further updates as events warrant.

No comments: