Tuesday, April 3, 2012

(V) (;,,;) (V)

Had the following technical communication conversation with my wife earlier today:

WIFE: You know when people are sending texts, and they use abbrevaitions like LOL, OMG -- what do they call that? Abbreviations? That doesn't sound right.

ME: I don't know. I know what you mean, though. Abbreviations sounds old-fashioned. [Consults almighty Google.] Well, Wikipedia mentions abbreviations, and then goes into SMS -- Short Messaging Service.

WIFE: But that's outdated, isn't it?

ME: I think so. I don't think those who text say they're using SMS Language.

So, texting folks: What do you call your little abbreviations? I'm not talking about emoticons, or the Dr. Zoidberg/Homer Simpson shapey-thingies (though it sounds like I need a little help on those as well).

Help a fossil out here. Before I go off for a scuttle.

(V) (;,,;) (V)

No comments: