Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Best-Smelling Book?

As ebooks gain in popularity, those whose preference lies toward printed books tout the tangible virtues of their preferred reading material.

One of the most common virtues cites is the smell of books.
So, which books smell the best?
Not surprisingly, there seems to be little empirical research on the topic. Though you can buy bottles of “New Book Smell.” I shouldn’t be surprised that such a product exists, yet I am.
There is research on what makes “old books” smell as they do, however.
And there are recipes to get rid of Book Stench.
So here’s my vote for the best-smelling books:
In the 1960s, Time Incorporated out of New York published a “Time Reading Program Special Edition” set of modern books and classics. I have a few of them. They are by far the best-smelling books I’ve ever encountered, aside from the book on sharks I took out of the Idaho Falls Public Library constantly as a kid.
Describing the smell is difficult. It’s got a mild adhesive bandage tang, but it’s not that bitter. It’s a cool smell – not hot, not cold. I don’t know how else to describe it. I don’t get the vanilla smell.
So, what think you?

No comments: