Monday, March 14, 2016

Moseyin' Dwight

So what do you do when the first 200 pages of your 404-page manuscript have serious problems, including boring exposition, that have to be fixed, even when you thought the book was ready for publishers?

You call in Moseyin' Dwight and Standoffish Andrew, that's who.


In other words, you start revising the novel again. And you make sure your main characters show up strong in the beginning, with explanations for their motivations and moods and such. Keep the exposition to a minimum, or at least controlled in a way that it helps the story along, rather than being the story in its own right.

And that's okay. I've been re-reading the book over the past few weeks and have noticed (I hope) most of the problems. I'm going to have to come up with some kind of system to keep all the fixes that need fixing organized so I follow through with a few things throughout the novel.

I'm excited about it. I've got a good path forward on how to fix things. Hoping I can have it doctored up so I can write a new novel for NaNoWriMo in November. Doleful Creatures has kept me bottled up for the past two Novembers.

No comments: