Friday, August 12, 2016

Nearly Three Years . . .




Later this fall, I’ll reach the three-year mark as scoutmaster in the Ammon 11th Ward.

A few thoughts on this:

Thought 1: It’s hard to believe it’s been nearly three years. That’s three scout camps. Untold numbers of meetings, probably close to a dozen courts of honor and a lot of campouts.

Thought 2: I kinda want my Tuesday evenings back.

But . . .

Thought 3: Our youngest son will join the troop in just a few days, and will be in the troop for two years. So that means Thought 2 is going to be legitimately tamped down as our son says I have to be scoutmaster as long as he’s a member of the troop.

So . . . 

That means at least two more years at scout camp. Lots more meetings and campouts. And I’m okay with that. I need to remember that though I might get tired of Tuesday nights, I can’t show it, or the boys will get tired of Tuesday nights and then we won’t have a scouting program to speak of. And that would be a shame.

I can’t be the best scoutmaster in the world, but I can be the best one these local boys have. And given one of those local boys is my son, I’m going to have to try harder. He’s not easily impressed.

No comments: