Monday, June 18, 2018

No Disintegrations

So Sunday morning, as water dripped through the kitchen ceiling into the pan I had soaking on the countertop, I decided a little action was called for.

Shut the water feed off to the house. Yanked out the valve in the shower above the kitchen and replaced the valve. I knew it was leaking into the tub and figured it was probably leaking into the wall as well. Hoped that would fix the problem and, if the drier kitchen is any proof, it did.

I just know I need Darth Vader to come to our house and issue his famous line:


Houses are true proof of entropy, and likely evidence why elves lived in forests or in buildings hewn from stone.

Our house has rigorously tried to dissolve itself wince we moved in six years ago, particularly the bathroom above the kitchen. I’m hoping the new shower valve will stave off the disintegration for at least a month or two while I get other jobs done.

Status:

MAIN FLOOR TILE. Need to tile bathroom and foyer closet, and grout laundry room. Fix soft spots in the kitchen.

ROOF. Finish ridge cap on the upper portion of the roof and replace shingles on the porch and kitchen window pop-out. Also haul off the discarded shingles. Yesterday’s gullywasher also reminded me I need to clean those gutters out. Maybe if it’s not raining this evening . . .

SIDING. The siding damaged by the April hailstorm still has not been replaced. I may decide to tackle it myself, once the roof it done. In the meantime, we’ll cover the holes with tape.

FENCE. Once the other two projects are done, replace front fence and start on back fence, particularly the portion only being held up by the Turpins’ bushes.

MASTER BATH. Really need to re-tile and get some cement underneath the bathtub. That’s probably another year down the road or until that bathroom starts leaking, whichever comes first.

May have to get the house a disintegration-proof vest.



No comments: