Sunday, December 23, 2018

Be Still, and Know that I Am God

I know it’s an ad.

And if I were in England and had the opportunity, I might shop at Sainsbury’s thanks to this ad.
But the truthfulness of the story transcends the – perhaps – commercial reasons for putting this commercial out there.



Did the things that happen in this ad actually happen?

Perhaps not the football match. But there were scattered bits along the front during World War I, 1914, where there was a truce declared not by generals but by the common soldiers who maybe just wanted forty-eight hours of sanity in a world gone mad.



I like what is said here:

“Even at the toughest of times, in the heat of war, the most dreadful occasions, there can be great humanity.” This from Alan Cleaver, a WWI author and researcher, interviewed for the making of video, and perhaps as a consultant as the commercial was produced.

This is as important a message in this day as was the truce in 1914.

Because you may have noticed we kinda live in a sucky world.

So Sainsburys, thanks for giving me a little bit of hope in a screwy world, even if I had to watch a commercial to do it.

Because there’s also this:

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

There for will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.

There is a river, the streams thereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the most High.

God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her and that right early.

The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations ha hath made in the earth.

He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

And this is what I will remember. Back in 1914, for a brief moment, God made a war cease, He broke the bow, cut the spear, and burned the chariot in the fire.

No comments: