Saturday, March 30, 2019

Be Time

Something Madeline L’Engle writes in her “Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art,” which I started reading this morning struck me:

In the summer I seem to spend my days between the stove and the typewriter, with time out for walking the dogs to the brook, bearing the big red clippers which help to clear the paths. I sit on my favourite rock, looking over the brook, to take time away from busy-ness, time to be. I’ve often long since stopping feeling guilty about taking being time; it’s something we all need for our spiritual health, and often we don’t take enough of it.

And I paused to wonder, as I read what she said: How am I using the “be time” I take?

Because truth be told, I take time away from busy-ness. I find time to be. It would be a lie to say otherwise.

But what am I doing during that be-time?

Social media, mostly. Which tells me I’m squandering my be time. And I’ve also recently started binge-watching (first time!) a Canadian TV show called Corner Gas. It’s great fun. But it’s not helping me get Doleful Creatures finished.

What did L’Engle do with her be time? I mean I assume she’s doing more than clipping branches and making sure the dogs don’t poop on the paths.

I’ll have to keep reading to find out.

And maybe I need a brook. I’ve already got the dogs.



No comments: