Monday, June 3, 2019

I’M NOT BORING! [Narrator: He’s Boring, Folks.]

First, this: It’s not wise to upset the resident giant.



And no, I don’t feel boring. I may indeed BE boring, but I don’t feel boring. Most of the time. My kids may have different opinions on this. So in a way I probably am boring, from a certain point of view.

So let’s create a list of things I am, or likely am:

1. Boring. Yes, I said boring. Because last weekend the highlight was getting the garden planted. Not that I really wanted to do it, but because it really needed to be done and I wanted to be done with it. My biggest disappointment from the weekend is that we did not get the lawns mowed. That sums up a lot of the reasons we do things as adults. And probably a fair amount of the suicides.

2. Easily confused. I chalk this up to being an adult, as this comic clearly illustrates:


The more I learn, the less I know, and the more I learn, the more I am exactly like the computer Kirk destroyed by feeding it illogical nonsense. Part of being an adult is not necessarily being able to parse the illogical nonsense that’s fed to us constantly, but on deciding which bits of illogical nonsense to focus one’s energy on so they’ll go away. See the garden example in No. 1 above.



Note: This clip is not from the computer-destroying episode, of which I think there were several. I just like Kirk’s drama in this scene. Because you KNOW he’s NOT bluffing.

3. Stuck in a rut as far as music goes. For this, Amazon has to take some of the blame. We have Amazon Prime, and I’ve really enjoyed exploring the breadth of its musical offerings. I’d say breadth and depth, but because my musical interests don’t necessarily intersect in every fashion with the interest of the masses, I find myself endlessly saying “Alexia, skip this one” because I’ve heard a particular song over and over and over again because the depth in certain artists and areas just isn’t there. I’m sure somewhere there’s keen interest in the music of Now, but for the most part, that is not me. We have a pretty good collection of CDs, but as the number of CD players has actually diminished in the house, their usefulness is fading. Still cling to them, though.

4. A little burned out. Working two jobs is taking a bit of a toll. And that’s a major red flag. Good news is I actually like both jobs I’m working now, so I’m doubtful we’ll see a repeat of 2005. I am, however, looking forward to the seven-week break between semesters coming up in August.

5. Stressed over kids. I used to hear Mom say that if she could revisit the time in her life when all her kids were little, she’d do it all over again. Scoffer, I was. But compared to the stress of raising teenagers, maybe having a bunch of little kids around the house wasn’t all that bad. I mean, our kids aren’t terrors. But there’s a fair amount of stress to go around. It’s like that scene in the MASH episode “Divided We Stand,” where General Clayton sends in a psychologist to see whether the MASH is breaking up under the strain and might better serve by dispersing its personnel to other units, viz:

Henry Blake: I mean, uh I mean, you’re not gonna write down everything I say to you, are you?

Capt. Hilderbrand: I have a report to make, sir.

Blake: Oh, of course. Like a brandy, Captain?

Hilderbrand: No thanks.

Blake: Gin? Scotch? Rye? Beer? I got it all. Don’t get the ide that I drink. I mean, it’s just that, uh, you know, uh, every now and then there's a lot of pressure around here, and, uh, you know Not that there's a lot of pressure or anything like that. It's just that every now and then, like your least little pressure, it'll build up to an incredible amount of pressure around here! Radar. - Would you bring in some brandy?

Radar: Thought you might like some brandy.

Blake: That’d be real nice. Um, Captain Hildebrand doesn’t care for any.

Radar: Oh, then I won’t bring his glass in.

Blake: Great little kidder, that one.

Michelle’s pressure is at its peak, teaching and getting food ordering ready for camp. So that spreads. Thus the gardening thing from No. 1.

No comments: