Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The Peter Principle, or I Don’t Care How We Do References As Long As We’re Consistent and As Long As they Work for those Who Have to Read Them.

I could probably tighten up that title.

But It’s not important.

Which is why I don’t want to even apply for the supervisory position where I work.

The supervisor is supposed to care* whether we put the document title before or after the document ID. And about all I could do in the nearly two-hour meeting where this and other matters were discussed was make an occasional point but mostly try not to fall asleep.

Enter the Peter Principle.

I’ve written about this before, but for the uninitiated, the Peter Principle is thus:

“Members of a hierarchy are promoted until they reach the level at which they are no longer competent.”

I’ve been on that level before. And it’s not pleasant. My current job allows me the occasional frisson of competence, so why rock the boat? More money? Sure. But money isn’t everything. Or so I hear, says the guy with a side-gig teaching online English classes. Which kinda takes money out of the equation.

I know this does not computer in some minds. Let us refresh the thought that not all minds think the same, not every person is filled to the brim with sloshing ambition and talent and leave it at that. Besides, you uber-talented and motivated people need people like me to step out of the way and not mind getting bossed around, right?

Thing is, aside from the occasional twinges of anxiety, annoyance, and paranoia (which are going to come with whatever job I might take on) I’m happy where I am and what I’m doing there. Could I learn to be more excited about reference ordering? Probably. It’s not outside my skill set or the realm of possibility. But there are other aspects of the job that add to the unsavoriness. It’s a job that needs doing, so be it. But it doesn’t have to be done by me. There are people with more experience who can take the job. And I’m good with that.

*I should care too. And I do. I’m just not all that hot up about being involved in the process that gets us from speculation on what form the references will take to the finished product. Which is probably why I was so terrible at algebra.

No comments: