Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Blog Alzheimers

Over the past twelve years or so, I have demonstrated on this blog – and its ancillary blogs – that I have a lot of time on my hands.

Folks were wowed by my witty commentary on The Cokesbury Party Blog, where I shared modern japery on the japes of yore.

They thrilled anew when I targeted my simpering wit at the Treasury of Laughter, a collection of humor some of which survives to this day.

But when visiting those sites now, they feel a little moth-eaten.

Not because my wit is off-point, no! But because many of the links – particularly of the embedded YouTube video variety – have gone to seed, taking readers to the most mundane of places*:


I have had the occasional thought: I should go through my blogs one by one, correcting the bloggy Alzheimer’s by finding new versions of the linked material. But then I think, “Wow, that would mean I *really* have a lot of time on my hands. And it’s likely with the passage of more time, the updated links would suffer the same fate.

Besides, some of the missing links on these blogs may seem easy to replace – there are a thousand options out there for Stupid Sexy Flanders – but some of them are a bit more obscure (like Hee-Haw), and I give no hints to their content in the accompanying text. So the best I could do was guess.

Perhaps, I say to myself, when YouTube is between its frenzied action of countermanding browser YouTube downloaders, I could download the videos I link to and then have them permanently on the blog. And open myself up to copyright trouble. No, better to have Google shoulder that burden, and put up with the dead links.

So the first option is better. But it’s a clear time sink. What to do?

Blog about it, for one. And then very likely do nothing about it.

What gaps there are in my blogs may well turn out to be like the gaps in our knowledge about ancient languages or hieroglyphics. Or of no consequence because they could disappear in an instant and the world would continue on its merry way.

*Excluding any of my blogs, that is.

No comments: