Friday, June 19, 2020

Checking In

It’s been a while since I wrote about life, the coronavirus, and that blasted bathroom remodel. So here goes.

BATHROOM: It is done. We have officially begun using it. Aside from one little glitch with a towel bar that fell down, it’s in great shape. We even like the oval mirror over the square one, and it’s big enough that we can both use it (the fear was with a smaller mirror, it would have to be hung in a way that would cut the top of my head off, but not so). It is a relief to have that project buttoned up officially.

That means, of course, moving on to another project. I had intended for the other project to be the siding, but the youngest son sidetracked us with taking the wainscot out of his bedroom and painting the walls. He had a yellow and orange motif going. Now it’s white and blood red. Can’t say they’re the colors I’d pick but it’s not my room.

This does mean more than painting – there’s been some drywall repair and plastering too, what with the removal of the wainscot. But that’s fine. It was just a strip of trim on the wall, drywall below and above. I think there used to be wallpaper below. Glad that’s gone.

CORONAVIRUS: Restrictions are lifting, but the virus, of course, is still here. We’ve seen a moderate spike in cases since restrictions started being lifted. So we’re being careful. We’re wearing masks, still not going to church, and avoiding large gatherings. Well, Isaac and Michelle did to go to an Order of the Arrow event a few weeks ago and one of the wingnuts there arrived with a fever but convinced the organizers she could stay. So we’ve got those types out there. So far, so good for us. We are meeting as a Scout troop again, but as we’re doing the Cycling merit badge, we’ve been able to do everything outdoors, which helps a lot.

I’m still working from home, and likely will be into July, or so I surmise from the last bit of information I’ve been given. With more people being brought back to work, though, the amount of work I’m doing at home is going up. Not complaining, just thinking it through. Part of me is ready to go back, but with the “masks all the time everywhere” protocols they’re asking us to follow out there, I’m not that anxious to go. Working from home has been nice, with lots more time free in the evenings, since I’m not doing that commute. I may see if they’ll let me telecommute on Mondays, so I can be home in time for our Scout meetings. I’ve been working in town on Mondays for that, so this wouldn’t be that big of a change for them.

LIFE: We’re into our second day of rainy weather. It should end today, but it has meant for a lot of gloom outside, and not much getting done with the garden or other outdoor projects.

I’ve been fighting more feelings of depression lately. Really came to a head a few weeks ago when I was feeling overwhelmed with the English class I’m teaching at BYUI. Had student conferences coming, and I just couldn’t do them. I really did try, but when it came to doing them, I just felt stressed and alone. So they didn’t happen, except via email. Not the way I want to do things, but something had to give that week, and that was it. I think part of it is that by this time of the year, I’m used to being home mostly alone, with everyone else at camp. With the virus this year, no summer camps. So there’s a lot more bodies mooning about the house and I’m out of my quiet routine. I seemed to have a lot of time when they were gone. Not so much with them here. Not that I don’t love them. It’s just that there are a lot more needs and requests and such when we’re all piled into the same house.

GOOD STUFF THAT HAS HAPPENED:

1. The DI reopened, so the pile of stuff we had in the garage is gone.
2. Speaking of stuff in the garage being gone:
a. Liam finally got his room clean enough we could move his filing cabinet up there. More than a year after it entered the garage.
b. A lot of camping gear has been labeled and stowed. More to do, but making progress.
3. Speaking of stuff in the garage being DISCOVERED. Months ago, I misplaced some pots and other camping gear. Figured it had stayed behind at one of our spots. But in shuffling things around, I found the box they were in.

No comments: