Sunday, June 28, 2020

"There it Is"

July approaches.

And I don't know what that means.

Any other year, it would mean the family at scout camp, me at home working and preparing for their weekend returns.

This year, an organized chaos. That's maybe a way to put it.

We're all home. Not really going anywhere. Trying to stay busy but at times getting on each others' nerves.

I've written about the bathroom. That project, I think, was a godsend. It kept me busy during a time when work really wasn't. It came at a good time, and it looks great.

Things are different now. Still at home, but busier. Two eight-hour days at work last week. And that felt really hard. I know it shouldn't, because I've been doing four ten-hour days a week up until the end of March. And maybe if I can get back to that, it'll feel like a break.

My prediction: One more week of working at home, then after the Fourth of July next Saturday, I'm back to work, out at the Site, full time. And that won't be bad. It'll be different.

I think we're all feeling a bit of stress.

Michelle and Lexie are going to a merit badge scramble at Krupp Scout Hollow starting Monday. Because of Covid, they're taking the camper so they don't have to use public toilets. But that's meant getting the camper ready. Again. Oh, I'd love to get rid of the thing. I have one house to maintain; I don't need two. But we're getting it ready and it'll be okay. That's what I have to remind myself.

Working at home isn't relaxing. Oh, it was at first. Not any longer.


Part of it is setting, I'm sure. I do get a fair amount of stress in my job from time to time. But by the time I'm done with the hour and a half commute, the stress has mostly dissolved and I'm home and things are easier. Now, there's no commute, and the stress is here where I am trying to de-stress. That's not a healthy combination. It's part of what chased me out of journalism. So as much as I have enjoyed the time at home, it's time for it to end.

I think part of the problem is that I haven't been able to move on to another summer project, which really relaxes me, or at least gives me focus for the time being. I did get the little bit of fence done, but I've stalled staining it  I have the stain to finish, but now it's been raining.

Part of this also is the typical Sunday Doldrums, where whatever weird little depression we Davidsons gets really settles in.

I need this virus to go away. It seems to be the background to everything that we do. Don't take any pandemic-free life for granted, that's my lesson now.

The thing is, nil desperandum.



which of course makes Doldrums Me laugh cynically.

I understand better now, Dad. I understand.

No comments: