Sunday, August 30, 2020

Exceptional Political Timing

Just curious to see if anyone else notices this.

In case you can't read my henscratches:

The dotted line I call "teh funny," which represents my Facebook friends who primarily use the 'book to joke around. They are early risers,or at least early on social media. They make up the majority of my Facebook friends.


The hash line I call the "political loons." They're the ones who are all SHOUTY politics about 95 percent of the time. They represent all shades of the political spectrum, and are about a quarter of my Facebook friends.

Why is six to ten pm their social media prime time? I don't mind, as it gives me a great excuse to avoid Facebook most evenings. Also, their presence is most heavily felt Saturday through Tuesday, for some reason, but that's for another chart.

Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

I'll head off some of the most obvious knee-jerks:

1. Most everyone I know on Facebook has a jerb, so don't tell me "teh funny" is the jerbless ones. They may be layabouts and dreamers, but they've obviously convinced someone they're employable.

2. I'll mention this again: The political loons are all over the spectrum, from left to right to Libertarian to a few who are borderline anarcho-communists (you know who you are and I love you). Yet they all appear with striking regularity in their allotted time slots. Maybe that's when they take their tinfoil hats off or something.

3. Don't tell me about Facebook algorithms or other such stuff. I have noticed this pattern for years.

A Venn diagram of these groups would show some overlap. And I don't mind if people occasionally discuss politics. They're the ones who tend to, shall we say, sag in the middle like I do.

Anyhoo, it's just one of those things.

Then ironically this comes up on Facebook just after I posted.

No comments: