Thursday, August 13, 2020

"These Uncertain Times"

So I'm plowing through more than 2,000 emails, finding those I need to keep and deleting the rest. They extend from August through late winter 2019, and it's been an interesting voyage through the covid-19 pandemic.

Going backwards through the emails, I saw conspiracies, delayed returns to church, plans for school to recommence, debates over masks, preaching about social distancing, talk of government stimulus, Zoom meeting links for the Scout meetings we held remotely, temples closing and church being cancelled, defiance of stay-at-home orders, a drive-through high school graduation for our daughter, companies letting me know "We're In this Together" and the initial uncertainties about stay-at-home orders, school being cancelled, working from home and every other little thing you could think of.

I also have emails from a friend who passed on, and link to his obituary.

I'm now into the pre-covid emails, marveling at how much simpler it was only a few short months ago.

And yet it's the message that contained the link to this video that means the most to me.

That "I love you" still pierces my heart. But in a good way.

But I came across a lot of blessings too.

Our son, on a local service mission, has been able to continue, with minimal interruption. Our daughter only had to pay $350 plus books for her first semester at Idaho State, thanks to scholarships that came in when needed. Our youngest has been able to use his budding leadership skills to help guide the Order of the Arrow lodge through covid times. And my wife and I have remained employed the whole time. These are blessings, temporal and spiritual. And for those, I thank God.

No comments: