Thursday, September 24, 2020

It's Full of WHAAAAT?!

So I learned this today:

If you sell an e-book, you don’t get paid for it until the buyer reads it. If the buyer buys it and lets it sit idle on his or her device for months, years, you see nothing. Not until the book is read.

Welcome to digital content. At least from Amazon, I’m learning. And if Amazon does it this way, sure as shootin’ this is the industry standard.

I don’t see the reasoning here. Is there someone who can explain it to me?

Because it’s my understanding that with a physical book, as soon as the book is sold, the author gets paid. Even if the book goes to sit on a shelf for years. Or ends up at a book burning, unread.

Why the difference?

And why do authors put up with it?

Forgive me if I sound cynical, but I doubt if the seller waits until the book is read to take its cut of the sale price.

I really want someone to explain this to me.

And, whoa hoss, it makes me not want to sell digital anything.



No comments: