Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Hell, or, A Change is as Good as A Rest

I'm teetering on the edge of something, folks.

In the leadup to the election, I've opted on social media to snooze, or in some cases, unfollow, those whose posts are more than 90% political. And I'll be honest -- most of them have been conservative voices.

I don't need their lunacy peppering my already cynical view of politics with additional oxidation.

And now, a moment of clarity: I'm going to let them jabber, full-tilt, where I can see them.

And in a week (or more, which is more likely) when we know who won the election, I'll see manifestations of the pride and hubris that Mormon keeps warning us about in his little book inside the big one.

Because -- ha ha! -- I don't think it's going to matter who wins in November. The circus will continue unabated, though perhaps if we're lucky the clown car will break down and stop issuing forth its contents. We'll get the contents of another clown car, to be sure, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

But the jabbering. Oh, the jabbering. Whomever wins, right or left, the jabbering will continue, and we will continue on our merry wee way to Hell as, apparently, that's what we do in this country now.

What do we want, the New Normal,

or the Normal that Used to Be?

the one, all filled with sackcloth,

the other, which smells of pee?

Whom do we want, the leader,

Or the one who wished to be?

the one, all filled with anger,

the other, acrimony?

And do we want the nation

or the one we couldn't be

ill and fat from the pride of our hearts

or lean, a mockery?

And what do we want of Heaven

or the Hell that's soon to be

one the realm of the angels

now forever barred to we?

No comments: