Saturday, October 24, 2020

Politics and Poker and Christianity

You know what’s fun and easy about finding Christian scriptural support for the party or candidate of your choice? It can be done easily with tools you probably already have in your home, particularly if you focus on the warts of one candidate or party while ignoring similar defects decorating your own.

And the thing about Christian theology, see, is that it’s not a cafeteria plan. You don’t get to waltz in and pick only the stuff you want. You have to take it all.

Similarly, when you select a candidate or political party, your selection should not be made holding your nose or ignoring the faults that are there. You get it all, the halos alongside the horns. To believe otherwise is to be dishonest with yourself.

For example. I’m not much pleased in what I see in the official platform of Black Lives Matter, the organization. I do, however, recognize that in America, black lives indeed matter less than white ones. Maybe not to the rank and file of most good Americans. But certainly that message comes out, and loudly, from some good Americans, and some good American politicians and political parties.

God tells me the following:

“A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” (John 13:34-35)

I see little of this in the platform of Black Lives Matter. And I see little of it in the attitude of “All Lives Matter,” which seeks not to spread love and understanding and reconciliation, but the dismissal of ongoing prejudice and justifiable anger for the sake of maintaining the status quo, or even saying “wait a while longer; it’s getting better.” That kind of thinking and rhetoric is certainly not making things better, and waiting since at least 1860 seems long enough, doesn’t it?

Does that mean I love riots and the destruction of property? Of course not. But if a party’s candidate’s answer to riots and destruction of property is to shout that ongoing suffering that engenders it doesn’t matter because all lives do, I find little to support in that either.

And also, I find little to support in a party that turns a blind eye to racism in some of its base, its rank and file leadership, and its top politicians.

“Brothers and sisters, please listen carefully to what I am about to say,” said Russell M. Nelson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in early October 2020. “God does not love one race more than another. His doctrine on this matter is clear. He invites all to come unto him. Black and white, bond and free, male and female. I assure you your standing before God is not determined by the color of your skin. Favor or disfavor with God is dependent up on your devotion to God, and his commandments, and not to the color of your skin. I grieve that our black brothers and sisters the world over are enduring the pains of racism and prejudice. Today I call upon our members everywhere to lead out in abandoning attitudes and actions of prejudice. I plead with you to promote respect for all of God’s children.”

This, to me, if I can borrow a phrase from U.S. President Richard Nixon’s press secretary Ron Ziegler, is the operative statement. And by asking members of his church to “listen carefully” to what he has to say, and to “lead out in abandoning attitudes and actions of prejudice,” he acknowledges such attitudes and actions exist among church members.

I see little in American politics of any stripe that promotes such introspective action, and certainly not from the party currently in power. And I hold little faith that President Nelson’s request will be much more than a footnote as Satan continues to strengthen his hold on the hearts of men, both inside and outside the church, unless we as members of the church embrace this request in earnest. I know where that request comes from, and I will do my best to follow it.

And while I see little to gain from a party or candidate who turns a blind eye to the problems inherent in illegal immigration, I see little to gain from a party or candidate who vilifies each immigrant, legal or not, as criminals, rapists, sponges, or job-stealers.

Back in 2015, Elder Patrick Kearon said the following of refugees:

“Being a refugee may be a defining moment in the lives of those who are refugees, but being a reguee does not define them. Like countless thousands before them, this will be a period – we hope a short period – in their lives, Some of them will go on to be Nobel laureates, public servants, physicians, scientists, musicians, artists, religious leaders, and contributors in other fields. Indeed, many of them were these things before they lost everything. This moment does not define them, but our response will help define us.”

He then quoted the following from Matthew 25:40: “Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

Jesus, in this verse, does not say “unless they came into the country illegally,” or “unless they’re criminals.” He offered no such exceptions. He did not excuse sin – He famously told the woman caught in adultery to “go and sin no more,” but neither did He condemn her. Interestingly, He asked her accusers to be the first to cast a stone, if they were sinless. And they were not. And they left without tossing so much as a pebble.

In today’s politics, no such hesitation exists. No party holds such innocence. Stones would be hurled, the woman killed, by politicians and parties with blood on their hands from other such actions, literal or figurative. To claim otherwise is, again, to hold one’s nose and ignore the stink underneath the perfume.

So what’s the answer?

Oh, if I knew, and could implement it successfully, I’d be one of those Nobel laureates Elder Kearon spoke of. I do believe, however, the answer does not lie in turning a blind eye to the shortcomings of politicians or political parties merely because some of what they say aligns with what I believe. I see enough vilification of politicians who ideally express similar ideas, even among people who profess belief in God and profess adherence to all of His teachings; vilification that comes because not everything they do toes the expected line.

There is no ideal spiritual refuge in politics. I do know I cringe when I hear someone say a particular politician is “the one” God or Jesus has chosen to lead. Looking at the politicians vying for such leadership leads me to conclude:

1.      1. God and Jesus really stink at selecting politicians to promote what we read in the scriptures, or

2.     2.  Earthly society is so far gone the bottom of the political barrel is being scraped relentlessly, by both God and man.

The best principle I can come up with is this:

“Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties, and members should seek candidates who best embody those principles.

“While the Church affirms its institutional neutrality regarding political parties and candidates, individual members should participate in the political process. Please strive to live the gospel in your own life by demonstrating Christlike love and civility in political discourse.”

This, from a letter signed by Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, and Henry B. Eyring, on October 6, 2020.



No comments: