Wednesday, December 22, 2021

YouTube Free Movies: "Inn for Trouble" and "Furry Vengeance"

Inn for Trouble

The one review I read on this film at IMDB decried it as a tired vessel for worn-out stars from The Larkins, a British situation comedy of the same 1960 vintage. Or something.

It could be since I'd never seen the show, I wasn't tainted by its worn-out premise, but I thought the film was a hoot.

I mean, it is pretty typical -- A man-boy married to a straightforward, harradin-ish wife, with other man-children in the family getting up to hijinx while the wife tries to keep everything together.

What I enjoyed the most was from the youngest man-child, Eddie Larkin, still living out his Boy-Scout days. He's forced to leave his post as Assistant Scoutmaster as his family runs off from London to run a pub as a reward for a long career in a brewery.

He camps, gets run over by a group fox-hunting, fails to start a fire by using a fire drill and recruits a local youth of indeterminate age as the nucleus of a new troop. They end up water-dowsing and, well, I won't spoil the film. But it was a fun look at Scouting in 1960s Britain, if even then at least the leaders were played as sissies.


I wish I knew more British character actors, because I'm sure this film is packed with them.

I cannot find a trailer for the film, so the YouTube link I used to watch it is here instead.


And technically I didn't find it on the "YouTube Free Movies" thread, but nevertheless, it caught my attention.

Furry Vengeance

This is a 2010 Brendan Frasier vehicle, which should have been a warning.

I'm not sure what this film was, or what its intended audience is. Is it a kids' film? A preaching on the continued human invasion of the natural world? Or a gigantic mistake that I would regret for the rest of the day?

It was sort of all three.

There were enough smashes and crotch shots to entertain the boy kiddies, and maybe enough cute animals to entertain the girls. And there was a rather weak love sub-plot involving two teenagers where the eco-conscious message could be brought in.

But the film, at the end, is utterly forgettable.

Except for Brendan Frasier. I'm pretty sure he had fun making it. Maybe he ought to go Full Rambo more often. So if you want to watch someone having fun while making a really stupid movie, this one's for you.


Also, it should be noted that while the film did not use animals in sunglasses in their promotional material, this did show up in the movie:


The environmentalist message is a bit wearisome at points, particularly at the beginning when the clearly conservative and smarmy land developer representative is driven off the road by an animal-produced Rube Goldberg machine, which sends him and his Porche off a cliff but not before a raccoon is able to hand him back the cigar butt he flicked out the window.

There's also a poorly-built plot point where they try to show the land being developed has long been cursed by animals willing to go to extreme means to shove humanity out, including cavemen, a Puritain, and a hippie, all played by Frasier.

Here's the trailer, so you know what you're in for:



No comments: