Saturday, April 23, 2022

Adventures in Gas, in Three Parts.

Adventures in Gas, in Three Parts.

Part the First: Maverik on Ammon and Sunnyside. Almost always problematic and, alas, problematic today. Their system rarely recognizes my credit card and NEVER, NOT ONCE, has it recognized my Maverik discount card. No gas there, though my gas warning light is on.

Part the Second: Not to fear. The locally-owned Speedi-Mart is across the street and they, too, have gas, and a smug sign that reads "Shopping here is voting to support local business." That's well and cute and all but alas, their card reader read my card and declined it.

Part the Third: Fed up with the reptilians at Maverik and the we-don't-serve-your-kinds-here at Speedi-Mart, I make the trek halfway across town to Sam's Club, gas light still glowing, hoping I don't run out. The lines at Sam's are massive, but I manage to squeeze into the line that puts the pump on the wrong side because few want to use it but I don't care. Their pump reads my membership card. Their pump reads my credit card. I fill up with gas. Mission accomplished.

I would spend money with a regional business, but Maverik has a habit of having crappy card readers, so it's rare for me to go there.

I would spend money with a local business, but having my card declined kinda made me sad.

So I spend with the corporate behemoth which has at least figured out that if they spend more money on good card readers at the gas pumps, they'll get their customers' money.

Oh, I forgot intermission. Here you go:



No comments: