Monday, October 10, 2022

Way Too Late At the Movies: The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!

 


"The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" has been on my to-watch movie list since I learned many moons ago that it stars Jonathan Winters, shown here in all his glory giving a briefing to his family, baby included, before he runs off to confront the Red Menace.

While Winters was quite subdued in this film (his role wasn't as big as I imagined) it was worth watching, if only for an exploration of the character actors therein. That and the story is pretty darn funny, what with the mob mentality that easily translates into the new century. And the Russians as bad guys vibe, that still fits, no matter what Barack Obama might have thought.

It was fun seeing Tessie O'Shea in a non-Disney role, but it was this guy who presented the most challenge:


He appeared far earlier in the movie than this (it's a slow burn, I gotta warn ya). But it wasn't until this scene I got to hear him say more than "Muriel?"

But that voice. He's in a scene for a scant ten or fifteen seconds, but that voice. Had to Google. He plays Titus Moody, a stereotypical crusty Yankee, in Fred Allen's old radio show.

Not that I'm old enough to remember the show. But I've heard a few episodes, and the voice I heard in the film reached out through time to grab me.

Obscure character actor of the day: Parker Fennelly. Best known, I suppose, as Pa Kettle from the Ma and Pa Kettle films, but I haven't seen any of those.

Overall, I enjoyed it, though the finale seemed a bit, eh. Maybe beyond belief. Part of me would like to see a modern remake of this one, but I shudder to think of who Hollywood would pick to fill out the ensemble cast.

No comments: