Saturday, October 1, 2022

Bathroom Remodel Update: Almost Caught Up to Where I was A Few Weeks Ago

I was pretty excited Sept. 20 when the tile for our shower stall arrived.

I'll be even more excited when I can finally start putting it up.

I took a tile up to the bathroom last weekend to begin strategizing and marking tiles for cut, but I could quickly see the bodge job I'd done on the cement board wasn't going to work. Parts of it were really mushy. And I blame myself. When I put the board up earlier, I made the mistake of buying the thinner board and thought I could fix it by just putting another layer of board over the first. But it was so soft and yielding in places I decided I'd be re-doing the tile job if I put tile over that mess. So I took it down. And then remembered in one wall I have a gap in the studs of 21 inches -- lending another soft spot to the wall. So I just finished putting a ladder in the wall to fill in some of that gap and give me some sturdy surfaces to nail to. I'm almost caught up to where I was a few weeks ago, but I'm feeling a lot better about the foundation I'm laying for what's to come. If the foundation is solid, the finish will last a lot longer. Wonder where I've heard that before.

I'll admit I haven't been all that keen on this project. I really had to kick myself in the butt to get done this weekend what I have done, but I'm feeling better about things now. 

No comments: