Friday, March 3, 2023

Let's Chat About ChatGPT, Part 2

You may recall an announcement I posted exactly one month ago about ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence writing engine that's been making waves in all sorts of circles, particularly in academia.

My wife and I have had some discussions about ChatGPT in the last month, and I've spent some time playing around with it. I have come to this conclusion: ChatGPT is definitely a tool writers should add to their kit of tools, but, like a hammer, it's not a tool that should be overused.

Here's how I see ChatGPT as being useful to you as we move forward through the rest of the semester.

You've settled on your topic for our last paper. Maybe you're going to write about a problem that you think needs to be solved. Or you're going to present to us an item you want to purchase, but you're not sure which model or from which company you want to buy it, so you're going to explore the pros and cons of a handful of models.

Let's get more specific: Let's say I want to write a paper on a problem I have right now: How to store all the books my wife and I have accumulated over the years. This is a big problem in our house, as you can see:


How can I solve the problem of too many books, not enough shelves?

Let's ask ChatGPT:


As you can see, I asked ChatGPT the following question: "I have a lot of books at home, more books than I can fit on my shelves. What's the best way to store books?"

ChatGPT's response:

"There are several ways to store books when you have more books than shelf space:

1 .Consider using bookcases with adjustable shelves. This can allow you to make more space for larger books or other items, while still accommodating smaller books on the same shelves.

2 .Invest in vertical storage solutions such as bookends or bookshelves that utilize vertical space. You can use these to store books on top of your current bookcases or on other surfaces like tables and desks.

3. Use stackable storage boxes. You can purchase storage boxes that are specifically designed for books or use any sturdy box that is large enough to accommodate your books. Label each box with the contents, so you can easily find what you need when you want to read a specific book.

4. Consider downsizing your collection. If you have books that you haven't read in a long time or don't plan to read again, consider donating them to a library or a charity.

5. Store books in other areas of your home, such as under the bed, in closets, or in unused storage space.

6. Store books in a climate-controlled environment to protect them from humidity, which can damage pages and bindings over time.

Remember to handle your books with care to protect them from damage. Store them upright to keep their spines straight, and avoid stacking books too high, as this can cause them to become damaged or warped."

In less then a minute, ChatGPT has offered me six solutions to my problem, along with a bit of advice on storing books in a way to prevent them from being damaged.

So here's ChatGPT helping me out. I only need three solutions for the paper I'm writing, so now I get to pick which ones to look at.

Or let's say I need to pick out a 3-D printer. (A friend of my wife has bought her first 3-D printer, so it's only a matter of time before my wife, who loves this kind of creativity, decides she wants one of her own, so I'd better get on top of it.)

So, let's take the question to ChatGPT:

My question: What's the best 3-D printer to buy?

ChatGPT's response:

The best 3D printer to buy depends on your specific needs and budget. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a 3D printer:

Price: 3D printers can range in price from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Determine your budget and look for models within that range.

Print Quality: Look for a printer with high print resolution and accuracy. This will ensure that your prints come out looking detailed and precise.

Print Volume: Consider the size of the objects you plan to print. Choose a printer with a large enough print volume to accommodate your needs.

Ease of Use: Look for a printer with user-friendly software and intuitive controls. This will make it easier for you to start printing right away.

Reliability: Look for a printer with good reviews and a proven track record of reliability. A reliable printer will require less maintenance and have fewer issues over time.

Based on these factors, some popular 3D printers include:

Prusa i3 MK3S+: This printer has a reputation for high print quality and accuracy, and it offers a large print volume.

Creality Ender 3: This is an affordable option that offers good print quality and a large community of users for support.

Ultimaker S5: This printer is a more expensive option but offers high-quality prints and a large build volume.

Formlabs Form 3: This is a resin-based printer that offers high accuracy and detail, but it is more expensive than most FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) printers.

Ultimately, the best 3D printer for you will depend on your specific needs and budget, as well as your skill level and experience with 3D printing. It's a good idea to read reviews and do some research before making a purchase to ensure that you choose a printer that will meet your needs and expectations.

Here are some questions to ponder:

Q: By using ChatGPT, have I cheated?

A: No. No more than if I had used any ordinary web browser to do my searches.

Q: Should I take what ChatGPT says at face value? In other words, can ChatGPT be trusted to give accurate answers?

A: Also no. As with any ordinary search in a web browser, it's up to me, the questioner, to do additional research and to find out, for example, what exactly "vertical storage solutions" are when it comes to taming our book collection, or whether any of the 3-D printers ChatGPT recommended is in my budget range. Or even if my wife is all that interested to get a 3-D printer in the first place.

What I'm saying is this: As you begin working on your next paper, don't discount using ChatGPT to help you explore solutions, or pros or cons. Its just like plugging your questions into a web browser.

Where would use of ChatGPT cross the line into cheating? In my mind, if you take what ChatGPT produces and turn it in as your own work, that's cheating. Will I detect it? Maybe. Or maybe not. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide how much effort you want to put into your work. But I see nothing wrong with using ChatGPT and similar AI engines as a springboard to help you with your thinking.

I'd be interested to see what you think.

No comments: