Sunday, September 22, 2024

So, Am I Writing Now?

Here's the rub: Am I writing now?

No.

Creative writing. Novels, in particular. Or short stories. Or poems. Or anything for that matter.

I'm not.

I mean, I'm on the verge. I have some ideas bubbling.

But nothing really in the works.

Doleful Creatures and the Hermit of Iapetus, still sitting there. Moribund. I think they're part of what Ray Bradbury described as the bad writing that has to come out through effort in order for the good ideas to come.

I need someone to keep me accountable. To keep an eye on me, because me on my own, I stink.


I'm getting back into reading, which is good. I love to read a good story -- and even reading the bad ones is educational.

Still at the point I need to get out of a few things. Closing in on getting out of Scouting, and hoping that once that's done I'll have more time to get to writing. But discipline is lacking. I need to get on a writing schedule. But I'm also at the computer ten hours a day for the full-time job, and I'm still teaching, so more computer work.

Maybe my students need to keep me accountable. That's something to think about.

Getting out of a basic English course would also be nice, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

No comments: