Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Emergency! Or Police Squad! Take Your Pick.


Today at work I was handed two "rush-emergency" document revisions that they want finished by the end of the week.

My boss said she couldn't tell if I was OK with the second assignment -- as my response to her request to do the work was just an emailed "OK."

I should have displayed more gusto, I guess, but I assured her I was certainly okay with the work and got it out for review pretty quickly.

That helped me recall the latter third of my career supporting the Accelerated Retrieval Project at the Radioactive Waste Management Complex. Back then we were siloed as writers, supporting individual projects. When I started there I was on a team of five writers. We got the RWMC through several startups of different waste management facilities, each time creating and revising about a hundred documents each time. The last third of my time at the RWMC I was the sole writer, and saw two iterations through without outside help.

I mean, it was stressful times, but I had a lot of support and we got through it, to the point now that work is done and the facilities are being dismantled and the procedures inactivated. So to be handed two emergency procedures in the same day wasn't all that bad, though it's been awhile.

Not trying to brag here, it's just how things were. I was the writer, we had to get things done, and by golly we got them done as a team. Same game today. Some days it felt more like Police Squad! than Emergency! and in a way I miss those days. I worked with a lot of good people. The people I work with now I don't get to know as well, partially because we're not siloed anymore and support all sorts of projects, but mostly because I work from home. The isolation is a bit odd, but the benefits of work from home still outweigh the disadvantages.



No comments: