Monday, October 7, 2024

TOUGHER SENTENCES FOR JOGRAFFY TEACHERS!

One of the biggest buzzes I get from spoken English is hearing a proper English pronunciation of "geography."

They just get to it: JOGraffy.

I have noticed in some Americans a tendency to hesitate slightly on the ending of the first syllable, making it sound like this: JeOGraffy.

Does anyone else notice this?

(Also, I envision some of you spending the next few minutes saying "JOGraffy and JeOGraffy" to yourselves to hear the difference, then getting to the point the word and associated sounds lose all meaning.]

Below, a Brit saying "geography."

And in American English:


But clearly there's still some dispute as how to say it. You'd think Pitt the Younger would get it right, but no:


I had to listen to this twice to make sure I got it right. I fully expected to be wrong, particularly on the second mention of the word, which should have come off as a pejorative. But no.

Then Richard Hammond, accused of being a de facto American nails it as a Brit:





No comments: