Friday, May 23, 2008

Structurally Thinking . . .

Should it worry me that as a professional writer I'm having a seriously bad time writing a four-page essay (double-spaced, even) on formal writing? And should it worry me that earlier tonight, when I was talking to my wife about this essay, we had the following exchange:

ME: I don't think about structure when I'm writing.
SHE: You don't think about structure.

So I'm feeling a little self-conscious.

I think part of my problem is that I'm such an ur-writer, getting into the whole thing without taking classes and fussing a lot about how to write; I just write. It's probably evident that I don't have a lot of formal training, or a lot of coaching. But gosh darn it, I'll keep up with it all.

It also probably doesn't help that I'm sick to death of hearing how Michael Patterson is doing with his writing. Two novels now, the little shit. And he's a fictional comic character from Lynn Johnston's "For Better or for Worse." Is it wrong to be jealous of a fictional character? I think I need serious mental help.

No comments: