Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hey Fatso!

Regence BlueShield of Idaho, it's okay to say it: I'm fat.

We're getting new health insurance, as I've let you know here. We've decided to go with Regence BlueShield because Michelle's Aunt Joan, who works in insurance, recommended it to us (too bad she's not licensed for Idaho or we'd have a new insurance agent as well).

It's a mixed blessing. It's still not affordable by any definition of the word, but we will be getting a bit more bang for our buck, with actual office visit copays, prescription benefits and a few other perks.

Then there's the fat thing.

Except they don't just come out and say fat. What they say is that for me, there are "height and weight guidelines" that, well, they don't really say what, but it's understood that because I'm a relation of Dr. Eva C. Tubby, then, well, these are the plans that can be offered at the prices indicated.

I'm okay with that. I know I've got some weight to lose. I just wish they could just say in plain English: "Hey, Fatso, lose some weight and you'll get a better deal from us." I'd be cool with that. Of course there are those who would take offense. So they have to dither with the language.

No comments: