Monday, December 19, 2011

Flirting with the ‘Mormon’ Label

Part of me is almost ashamed to admit this: I’m two-thirds of my way to having three pieces ready to submit to a Mormon-themed literary contest.

Why the shame?

Well, read any Mormon lit lately?

So it’s not the label. Maybe it’s not the label. I’m treading on eggs here. I guess some of it is the subject matter. Poetry is fun and all, but it’s a literary dead end. Close your eyes and spit and you’ll soil a Mormon poet, albeit probably not a very good one. I fit in that category, Mormon poems or not.

Novelists don’t tend to fare that much better. But that’s what I’m most interested in, so that’s where I’m going.

Two entries so far for Mormon Artist’s Mormon Lit Blitz. I believe my writing to be up to par with the writing that’s winning the contests. But it’s the genre, the subject matter, the approach – not the writing itself – that sinks or swims you in this business, Mormon lit or not. But this is a niche way, I suppose, to get on the radar, so I’m going to try it.

So, entries here and on my writing blog where you can read even more of my banalities, soon.

No comments: