Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Probably NOT A Good Sign. Or IS It?

So, what does it mean when you’re re-writing a novel and you’re adding more about a secondary character than you are adding about your protagonist?

It could mean, of course, that the original version focused on the wrong protagonist.
Then again, it could mean you’re developing a more multi-faceted story. Albeit one where one protagonist is a magpie and the other a badger.
So what to do, what to do?
I see it coming: Finish re-writing it a second time, and then start all over again for a third time. And three could be that magic number.

The story’s getting better. More characters are coming into the fore – I do, in fact, have three characters who are developing nicely, though one is lagging a bit behind the others. That character (actually a pair of crows acting in concert) may be the additional focus in the third round of rewrite.
I hope what this means is that I’m developing more rounded characters to accompany my more rounded dipthongs.
I’ve added about 5,000 words to the novel, cut about that many more, and checked the other words to make sure they work. They’re working better.

No comments: