Thursday, September 15, 2016

Messy, Messy, Messy . . .



Nobody – and I mean nobody – likes Professor Hinkle.

And it’s not that he’s necessarily a bad person – locking Frosty the Snowman in the poinsettia greenhouse aside. He just wants to be a good magician, and getting that magic hat back from those kids and that stupid snowman who came to life is what he thinks he can do to attain that goal.

But in truth, he’s a rotten magician. Just watch the opening act of Frosty the Snowman:


He’s got poor showmanship. And though he’s got the appearance of being a magician, he’s rotten at what few tricks he knows.

That’s how I feel as a writer.

I’ve got the nice outfit. The cards and balls and trinkets. And even the magic hat. But I haven’t practiced those tricks enough to be good at them.

He’s got all the appearance of being a good magician. Even a great one. But he stinks. And while I may be able to turn a good phrase once in a while, I know the tropes, I still haven’t practiced enough to get better.

So I’m going to have to end up writing that I feel bad for what I did to Frosty a hundred zillion times in order to improve. Then maybe, just maybe mind you, I’ll get better as a writer.

No comments: