Monday, November 7, 2016

Applying for My Own Job, Part II



I think I wrote about the jokey job situation at Fluor Idaho – the main cleanup contractor at the INL, where I work as a subcontractor – before. Or maybe I didn’t. I’ll recap:

About a month or so ago, a technical writing position came open at Fluor, and we (the writers) were notified, in case one of us subs wanted to apply for it or if we knew someone looking for work. I decided it would be worthwhile to apply, but put off applying because of a busy schedule. By the time I got to it, about a week and a half later, the position had CLOSED. It was only open a week. So, figured that was that.

Now they’ve just posted TWO positions, with the window open until the 21st.

First of all, anyone interested in a technical writing job with a stable employer in eastern Idaho, let me know and I’ll get you the information.

Second of all, I think I’ll apply.

Not that being a subcontractor is bad. And moving to Fluor wouldn’t do a thing to my seniority (as a subcontractor I’m already low on the totem pole, though I did get picked to stay during the last layoff when a company writer was let go, so I don’t know what that means). And no increase in pay. And I have no idea what their benefits are like. But I would earn the right to put “Local Boob” behind my name on my cubicle card. So there’s that.


No comments: