Tuesday, November 29, 2016

What if I DON'T Get My Own Job?



So, a week ago today was the deadline to apply for my own job.

Background: I work, of course, at the Radioactive Waste Management Complex. Have done for the past 10 ½ years. But I’ve done so as a subcontractor. Fluor Idaho LLC (the main contractor) is looking for two tech writers to replace retiring writers, so I applied for one of the job. Essentially, it would be (if all went well) a move from company to company, not into a new position.

But the thought struck me this morning on the way to work: What if I don’t get picked?
First thing: I would not lose my current job. I would remain a subcontractor.

BUT

Second thing: Does that mean I’m not as valuable to Fluor, or cheaper in some way to be kept as a subcontractor, rather than as a full-fledged employee?

It could all come down to question of ego. And as I have an ego already used to bruising, maybe things will work out okay. But the go may shrink if I don’t get even called in for an interview. That could be a low blow.


No comments: