Friday, April 21, 2017

Typing with My Brain



So, here’s the thing, Facebook.

I don’t think in the way you think I do.

 Writing, for me, is more than mental action. It’s got a physical component. Whether I’m pounding out thoughts on a keyboard or writing them longhand with a pen on paper, there is a physicality involved there. Break that physicality, and my ability to write is diminished.

I know this anecdotally, of course. I’m no scientist. Heck, I’m not even a game-show host. I do know, however, if I’m in a group situation where writing is involved, if I’m going to be the one writing, I’m going to be the one at the keyboard or taking notes. There’s something in the physical act of writing that is tied in with the mental act of writing, and to take one from the other doesn’t work all that well.

Maybe it’s a crutch. Because it’s clear one can think faster than one can type – I manage about 75 words per minute, mostly error-free. I can go faster, but the error rate soars.
I could probably be trained to write without a physical aspect, of course. This old dog can learn a new trick or two.

But, for now, at least I’m safe inside my mind.


No comments: